Ok guys, this post is going to get a little deep, but bear with me here. if you can make it past all the cliches and idea stretching ive accomplished, you may find something worth sharing.
Now it's time for a little back story. as you all know, i got my mission call to Fiji a few weeks ago. well, ever since then ive been getting worried and having some crazy doubts about myself and whether i could really travel around the world, learn a crazy language i know nothing about, and somehow manage to make the trip worth while for everyone. snags in my visa stuff and little things that i have never thought of before have been coming out of the woodwork to bug me day and night.
One day while i was driving home from a particularly slow (and thus thought/doubt inducing) day at work, i heard this song on the radio. i'd heard it a few times before and liked the upbeat rhythm and catchy rhymes, but id never really put the lyrics together before. listening to it over the next few days everything finally clicked and made everything that was bugging me seem a lot smaller or even go away!
I'm sure this isn't what the musician had in mind when it was written, but this is what i got out of it. so here are the lyrics and what it brought to my mind. feel free to look up the song and listen to it while you read. :D
-Home, by Phillip Phillips-
Hold on to Me as we go
As we roll down this Unfamiliar Road
Although this Weight is stringing us along
Just know your'e Not Alone
Cuz I'm gonna Make this place your Home
Settle down, it will all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons they fill you with Fear
Trouble, it might drag you down
If you get Lost you can Always be Found
Just Know you're not alone
Cuz I'm gonna make this place your home
After connecting the dots and digging a little more, i sat down and made a list for myself to go with the song.
My New Years Creed for my Mission/Life:
1. I will Hold on to Christ. I will confide in Him and follow his promptings. He will Never lead me astray.
2. I can only grow to my full Potential if i take Risks and face Unfamiliar Challenges.
3.I am pulled by my desire to spread the Gospel, my duty to those whom i will teach, and my knowledge that this is where i am supposed to be.
4. I am Never alone. There will always be people who are placed in my path to help me in my time of need.
5. Christ will help me make my Home wherever He needs me. I will work to make Homes for others, at all times, whether by teaching, serving, or just being a friend.
6. Home is wherever you love and are loved unconditionally. Wherever i find the Gospel, i find my Home.
7. He has a Plan for me. It may not be easy and it may not be obvious, but eventually I will understand and I will be the better for it, in the end.
8. I will be tempted but i will not let it keep me from fulfilling my goals. I will have Courage and not be Afraid.
9. Hard things are bound to happen, and i will have hard days. But no matter what happens I can always start over with a new day and be a better person.
10. I will grow to love the place i am serving, and will always call it Home.
so there it is! i told you it was a little deep. now whenever i hear it, its like a little pick-me-up that tells me to keep going. Hopefully it does the same for you.